The Mission of The Greek School of St. George is to teach the Greek language and culture, tradition, history and geography of Greece, mythology, observe religious and Greek national holidays, and participation in various activities of the Parish of St. George.
The Greek School of St. George has established a carefully planned Greek language program that addresses the needs of all students – those who have a background in the Greek language and those who do not. For that reason, the Greek School of St. George provides different curriculum on Fridays and Saturdays. The Friday School provides an excellent curriculum for students who have little or no exposure to the Greek language outside of school. The Saturday School provides an additional hour of instruction as well as more rigorous homework. Please sign up for the class that matches your child’s needs, if you have any questions please ask director Eirini Iatrou (Eirini.email@example.com or 240-374-2835).
St. George Greek school is a level-based program which allows students to be placed in classes with peers who have similar capabilities in the Greek language and grow within the language at their pace. The level classes give a child the opportunity to repeat a class or skip a class to be in the classroom that best meets their needs, not because it aligns with their grade level in traditional school.
Classes for Friday School begin on Friday, September 6th.
* Pre Alpha through Hta/Ellinomatheia A1 Level
* Class Hours: 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
* Dance Lessons: 7:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Classes for Saturday School begin on Saturday, September 7th.
* Pre-Alpha through Ellinomatheia B1 level
* Class hours: 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
* Dance lessons 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
* Advanced Classes Elinomathia Levels Β2 & Γ1
* Advanced class hours: 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Conversational Greek Class
This program is only open to students who are registered and regularly attend St. George Friday or Saturday Greek School, as a supplement to their classroom instruction. This program will only focus on developing the students’ listening and speaking skills to increase conversational capabilities. During the hour long sessions students will be engaged in real life scenarios with hands on props and games, focused on conversational Greek. There will be no homework for this program. The program is offered for free to Friday or Saturday Greek school students. Conversational Greek will be offered on Wednesdays starting October 16th.
* Ages 5 to 7 from 5:00 – 6:00 pm
* Ages 8 and up from 6:00 to 7:00 pm
Adult Greek Classes:
Adult Language classes are offered for three different levels beginner, intermediate and advanced. It is a wonderful way to build and/or refresh your own capabilities in the Greek language. Classes start October 7th and 8th .
- Beginner group on Mondays from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Intermediate group on Mondays from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Advanced group on Tuesdays from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Friday & Saturday School General Registration
- Conversational Class Registration
- Adult Classes Registration
- Founded in 1969 with 18 students, today, St. George is one of the largest and most vibrant Greek Schools in the U.S.
- One of the two schools in the greater Washington, D.C. area recognized as Center for Greek Studies by the Ministry of Education, Greece
- Approved from MCPS to offer 0.5 credit each year to high school students who attend our greek schoool program.
- Sustained annual enrollment over 200
- Differentiated curriculum (September through May)
* Friday Greek School
* Saturday Greek School
- Conversational classes
- Adult classes
For more information about the Greek School and the adult classes, please contact Mrs. Eirini latrou, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Embassy of Greece
- Embassy of Cyprus
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- Ionian Village
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Center for the Greek Language
- Greek Art
- Greek Culture
- Travel to Greece